Monday, October 12, 2009

Thousands of birds invade my farm


I'm working on the farm today, and I see some birds.  A few hundred.  They look like starlings, but they're a ways away.  I don't think much of it. 

But then I notice that there's a few hundred of them.  200.  300 maybe.  And I'm hearing a wind rushing sound, which i realize is the sound of thousands of wings. 

and I look up and there's thousands of birds in the air.  They're all over my farm, flying around, leapfrogging each other.  Every place they land they're actively foraging.  Thousands of birds. 

I'm waving the camera around trying to convey how many birds there are, and while I'm snapping away they start to leave.

and I catch just the tail end of the river of birds as they depart my farm.  Somewhere between 10 and 20 thousand birds.

No comments: