Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring is a busy season

I've purchased a scale so that I can weigh my pigs for sale and growth tracking, and a used 14 door feeder, and a flail mower, and a stock trailer.

Which makes it sound like I'm spending tons of cash, but adding all of those purchases together was $1650, which is pretty cheap.

But with cheap comes maintenance and repairs. So here's the first thing. The stock trailer.

The business end of the stock trailer sucks. This particular ball hitch I've always had bad luck with, and the trailer jack is missing, too. Out with the old, in with the new!

Some careful cutting along the original welds, and a new $50 attachment, and the hitch is all squared away. While I'm at it and have the welder available, might as well put on a new jack. This jack pops off with a pin, which makes it easy to repair with no tools if you scrape it off or damage it somehow. Which, unfortunately, I do from time to time. New 5,000lb trailer jack: $60


The outside of this trailer has clearly seen better days. I'm not really concerned about the dents and stuff, but the holes rusted into the sides do bother me.

This damage is caused by animal urine being held against the bottom of the panels that are scuffed by hooves. When I got it this trailer had old wet chips piled 6" high on all sides, and this basically rusted the bottom of each panel. I'm debating on whether to plate it, leaving the original metal in place, but adding weight to the trailer, or cut off the parts and replace. I'm inclined to cut off and replace, but I'll see how it goes.
The floorboards are in good shape -- pressure treated wood -- but I'll probably drill a 3/4" hole in each corner to allow liquids to drain. The axles, tires and wheels all look good.
Figure 2-3 days of work to bring the trailer back to useful condition.

No comments: