Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Spring lamb stew

With some buttered bread for dipping
Traded some pork for some lamb, and am cooking up a gallon or so of lamb stew.  This is only a partial recipe.  Eatin' on the farm

Cube leg of lamb, remove silver skin, dredge in seasoned flour

Brown lamb in a pan with a little bit of fat.  I use olive oil
I like making large quantities of stew all at once.  You can freeze it or can it afterwards, if any is left!
It's a go-to hearty lunch for tractor work.  Planting season is here.  
I love carrots, so two good handfuls of carrots
What's not shown are the potatoes - I use red potatoes, cut into the same size as the meat, or maybe a little smaller, and 4 or 5 stalks of celery, diced.
Chicken broth base with 2 cups of red wine
As a finishing touch I'll put two cups of frozen peas into the stew directly - frozen.  They'll thaw and cook a little, but they'll retain the sweet pea taste and they make a great addition.


No comments: