Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tracking a blood trail & finding skulls


Shot a coyote about 5:30 this morning. Saw it hit, coyote went down, but managed to run into the bushes at the edge of the pasture. I tracked it via the blood trail, but lost the trail after 1,000 feet or so. It was pretty easy to follow. The blood showed up well against the green leaves.

The coyote led me a on tour of where it eats its my farm animals though. Numerous piles of different colored turkey and chicken feathers, each pile being a different meal, and then this skull. The blood trail went right across it; you can see the drops of blood on it.


I don't know what kind of skull this might be. It doesn't look like a deer. I did lose a small goat earlier this year -- maybe a goat skull? lamb skull? you can see my thumb and forefinger in this shot for size.


This was another skull that I ran across while tracking the coyote. It appears to be a beaver skull; notice the prominent teeth.
The blood appeared to be arterial -- it was bright red, so I think I lung shot the coyote, probably on the left side. I don't think it'll survive, but I didn't find it to make sure. If it does survive it'll probably avoid my property from here on. Either way is fine with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what that skull is either- I think it has too many teeth for a sheep/goat, because they have a big gap on the sides with no teeth, right? But it looks like ruminant teeth? What could it be? I'm always curious about bones. Report back if you figure it out!
Michelle

roujesky said...

Have you thought about getting a donkey or mule? They absolutely hate canines. Down here in Texas, you see them all the time guarding sheep and goats. I see them for sale on Craigslist for $50-$100. I wonder how they feel about pigs and fowl?