Thursday, February 12, 2009

Vegetable starts & farmers market

This is the first of the vegetable starts for this year. Tomatos are pretty popular, and I've also planted some early-season lettuce that I'll plant under cold frames.
Germination rate is pretty good this year. Maybe 80%.

I'm starting 500 tomato plants this year to complement our chicken, pork and eggs at the farmers market. 50 or so of these plants will be planted, the others will be sold later in the year as either either 4" or 6" potted tomatoes. I've also planted lettuce, basil and rosemary. The basil this early is an experimental crop for me. This is the first year I've had a greenhouse, and I'm curious to see if I can get enough heat in April or May to get basil to grow. I know I can in June or July, so I'm spending a couple of bucks of seeds and an hour or two of time to see what happens. The rosemary is fairly cold hearty, so no worries there.

No comments: