Sunday, February 26, 2012

The eagles are breeding

 We've got a pair of bald eagles that are raising their young in the woods behind my farm.  I know this because we see them pretty much every day.  They are terrorizing the ducks and turkeys; our guinea fowl are the air-raid warnings; when they see the eagles coming they sound the alarm.  The picture above is of one of the eagles taking off after making a try at my ducks. 
 The picture above is of what I think is the immature eagle; I think it's last years hatch.  Look at the feathers at the end of the wings (click on the photo for a larger version) and compare it to the feathers on the ends of the parent.  It's too big to be a redtailed, but I didn't get a very good look at it. 
I really have to watch my small critters with the eagles around.  They don't really bother anything bigger than a dog, but they're really lethal with ducks, chickens and lambs. 

No comments: