Friday, November 4, 2011

The 1%, OWS and ...npr?

One of the things that I've noticed when I listen to NPR is their almost slavish reporting of the down jones number.  Every day they faithfully recite the change, as if it means anything at all to most people.  The stock market is largely irrelevant in my life; up, down, sideways, who cares?   

I do nothing different on a day when it's up 1% than I do when it's down 5%.  I don't care what the number is, but they report on it as if there's a vital need for me to know it.  Somehow knowing this number will improve my life...

Some days they don't even give you the total, assuming smugly that of course you know the total if it's up 178 points. 

Meaningless waste of time.  And they've devoted hundreds or thousands of hours on it. 

Maybe if you're watching the DJI and it does change your mood you'd be happier if you just...  didn't. 

If you'd like to help NPR, and specifically, "all things considered" change this, write them a note and ask that they read my comment on the air. 

You can write that note here.    Feel free to provide them a link to this posting.  In fact, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: