Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A little spring cleaning


I spent the day today working with my brother bryan, cleaning up the pigs sacrifice paddock for planting.  It's warm enough that it's time to plant.  I've been storing some logs in that same area, so the first step in this process is to move the logs to a different location.  I'll be cranking up the sawmill this summer and cutting the logs into timbers, so I'm moving them to where I'll be doing that. 

These are windfall logs, literally.  After a big windstorm I'll go around in neighborhoods where they've built houses in the last few years by mowing down the trees.  When they do that, the trees on the edge of the clearing are pretty likely to blow over, and these telephone-pole and larger trees make great, free saw logs. 

Even better when they pay me to remove them from their yards, or off their roof. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce, I'm an admirer of your website and your energy. I don't have a comment on Spring Cleaning, I just didn't know how else to contact you. Due to a comedy of errors that I won't go into, I am suddenly in possession of 26 Cornish x AND 5 Naraganset chicks. I think I remember reading that you have raised chicken and turkey chicks together. Have you or did I dream this? Can I feed everyone turkey starter? It will be well nigh impossible for me to raise them seperately for several weeks. Thanks for any advice you can offer - Mary