Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Final cutting...?

 I've been pretty pleased by the alfalfa this year.  I'm wanting to let it get as mature as I can before I cut, but I'm having to watch the calendar, too.  I want to let it have at least 6 weeks of regrowth time before the last frost, and we're getting very close to that line.  So it's a bit of a guessing game, but I think I'll be able to get another  900 bales off of this field this year.   That's around 40 more tons of hay.  

I'm happier with the pure-alfalfa plots than I am with the grass-alfalfa mix.  The pure alfafa seems to have eliminated more weeds than the mix, but it does take a bit longer to dry when cut.

So far so good.   Every cutting I take further dilutes the cost of the inputs -- seed and tillage -- and I think next year I'll be able to get 3 cuttings instead of the two I've done this year.

I think I'm a go on having all of my forage needs provided by the property that I own.

No comments: