Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The cows reflecting on eating grass
I'm running 40 cows right now; 30 of them are dairy, 10 are beef.  Some of the 30 are kinda-beef; they're 50% holstein 50% angus cross steers that I've produced and am growing out.  

I looked at buying some steers in both 2014 and 2015 and just couldn't bring myself to pay the price that animals were getting at that time.  The market has gone done a little (it's still high to my eye, but its not in record territory like it was) and my reaction to that was to retain a few of my own steers to grow out.  

The steers are pretty tasty; the angus/holstein cross is efficient at converting grass to meat, and they're relatively docile and easy to manage.   If you've got the space and forage, cows are a pretty easy crop to bring to market.  

No comments: