Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Planted and fallow ground results

 We're in the intensive grass growing season here and I spent part of the day today out in the fields looking at the grass and alfalfa and fallow areas of the farm.  this is the mostly-orchard grass area.  It looks like the grass has pretty much crowded out all of the weeds; it's a little under knee-high on me right now, maybe 13-15" tall.  .

 Next to that is the grass-alfalfa mix field.  the alfalfa looks like it's a little overwhelmed, but it actually grows faster than the grass, and taller.  So this looks good as well.

This is an interesting area.  to the left is the fallow area.  I did till it, but planted no seeds there.  What came in, and in huge quantity, is white clover.  It's got a fair number of weeds, dandelions and cowslip and some plaintain, but most of the area is clover.  it looks like I planted it.
 the line between planted and fallow is pretty sharp, and you can see a dramatic difference in what is growing there.

The cows are choosing to graze on the alfalfa-grass mix sections of the field more than the pure-alfalfa.  the most popular field is the 30% alfalfa, 70% orchard grass.  since that's what they are telling me they prefer to eat, I'll be planting that mix in the corn area from last year.


1 comment:

Rượu ngoại Thanh Niên said...

It really doesn’t taste of rhubarb or ginger. In fact, it takes like liquid Love Hearts. It’s my first rhubard gin purchase but I’ve heard better reviews from Warner Edwards version so I’ll try that next time.

I liked it but it’s so sweet tasting that I can only manage one glass mixed with tonic.