Saturday, July 26, 2014

Farm update

The next four or five days will be very busy.  We'll be cutting and tedding and then baling hay in the window we've got.  Forecast shows temperatures in the 80s for the next few days, which around here is HOT.

From what I've read, cutting the hay in the morning results in the best-quality feed (nutrients go from the roots to the leaves and then return at night, so you're catching the plants at the best time).  My cutter is pretty fast, but my rake is pretty small -- 10' haybob -- so I'll probably get a better rake this winter.


The corn is doing well; color is good, soil appears to be supporting the crop.  Now it's just a waiting game to see if it gets ripe enough before the end of the year.  Crossing my fingers.   a few weeds yet.  I'm going to see what I can do to get a spring harrow to clean those up next year.  This year we'll see how it goes.

No comments: