Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey processing, 2010

The new barn space is shaping up well.  Pictured is the stainless steel countertop I bought at auction for $200; it is 13' long and has a bend and a built-in sink.  You can add another straight counter to it to go around a corner.   Having 3 yards of stainless countertop made the whole process simpler.  You can see the hose with an attached nozzle on the right in the photo.  Behind me and to my right are the kill cones, scalder and plucker, arranged basically in a U shape. 

Thanks for another successful thanksgiving, folks.  I appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your birds. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you get the lungs out? I blindly feel around, break the attachments on the outside of the first one, tease up the outer edge of the lung, get it out from between the bones until I get it free then work on the other. Do you do something different?

I've seen scraper tools labeled for chicken lungs. But I can't see that being a good method, I would think it would leave bits behind and make a mess. But my method is slow.

Mike said...

If you use bare hands you can often get a finger under the lung and then pull them out. I notice when I used to use gloves, I could't ever get the lungs out. Also if you have a pressure head for your hose you can spray around the lung to loosen the connective tissue and then pull them out by hand.

Bruce King said...

with turkeys the body cavity is big enough that i can get a hand in and use my finger to scoop them out. takes two trips.

A good high-pressure spray and it's clean.