Sunday, May 16, 2010

farm certification organizations

I'm interested in people who have had their farms certified by third-party organizations or by state or federal agencies.  If you know of someone who's done this, or you've done this yourself, please send me an email at bruceki@homeacresfarms.com

I'd like to write an entry about these organizations, and I'm looking for folks who have done this to ask questions about their experience.  I'll keep your input confidential if you're concerned about it. 

For the general reader:   There are many organizations that offer to "certify" your farm; as organic, or naturally raised, or for the welfare of animals, or whatever.   Some of them are fee-based -- the farmer pays the organization, and in return gets to say that they're certified by them.

The basic idea behind them is that having a third-party organization say that you've met their standards makes your farm more credible to consumers.   Right now I'm contacted about once a week by one of these organizations.

5 comments:

sheila said...

Certification would make no difference to me. Being able to actually meet my meat is more important. Seeing the farm and the condition the animals are living in has more value than an organizational stamp of approval.

Anonymous said...

if you certify, make sure its with an organization that does independent (not farmer to farmer) certification.

Bruce King said...

I'd like examples of both types of certification organizations. Either ones you like, or ones you don't.

I'm not planning on certifying my farm, but I think it's worth writing a blog entry about them and I'd like suggestions about organizations that people have either used or not used. If you post them in comments here it's anonymous.

damae said...

What Sheila said, my goal is to grow my own food, by my standard which is likely much higher than any certification. . . .

Spence said...

Google Mason Creek Farm. I sold next to them at our farmer's market. They do pork. They've got some type of humane certification. Very picky about they're processor, etc. The contact info's on the website.

-Spence